Thursday, June 4, 2009

Summer days....Mama's little helper

Yesterday was a great day. The sun was out and it was really nice outside. Tuesday when I got off work Mike needed to go to Home Depot and he was in a very generous mood and got me some more flowers. I had two hanging baskets that I still needed to complete. Since we are already into June he let me pick out the remaining flowers I needed for the baskets plus I got another rose bush. I've been trying for a few years now to make a rose bush last and come back the next summer. About two years ago I thought I was finally going to succeed but Mason had other ideas. I babied my rose bush all summer long. It was full and beautiful. When fall came I mulched it really well and put it up on the deck so it would be out of the snow. It was looking like it was going to make it and I would have my beautiful rose bush come summer. One day I went outside to check on it and I found out that Mason while he was outside playing decided to trim it back for me and broke all the limbs off. Needless to say the rose bush didn't come back for the following summer. Last year I decided not to even bother, mainly because I couldn't find the type at the garden centers that would survive in a container up here. This year while we were at Home Depot I found the kind I had the year before and Mike told me to go ahead and get one. I haven't gotten a chance yet to plant it in the container I have for it. I was going to do that today but Mother Nature had other ideas. It's been raining on and off all day today. I did get my baskets done yesterday and I let Mason pick out a couple of flowers and I got those planted also. I bought another hosta for under out tree and I still need to get it planted too.

After I got done with all my gardening, I also weeded all of my beds too, it was time to get dinner started. I promised Mason I would make corn on the cob because he absolutely loves it so when I got started he came into the kichen and helped me. He helped me husk the corn. We also had mashed potatoes and I let him help me cut the potatoes up. Of course he almost gave me a heart attack because he came close to cutting his fingers a few times so I had to continue to show him how to do it. After that he finally lost interested and I finished dinner by myself but it was fun having him in the kitchen with me.

I'm missing my boys at the moment. Since Mike and I both have to work on Fridays and Mondays and school is out for the summer my parents are watching the kids for us until school starts so we have to drive the kids out to the valley Thursday evenings and they bring them back home on Monday. I have tomorrow off. It's going to be weird being home all day long with no kids and no husband around. I will have the house all to myself. A very rare occasion but one I will enjoy nevertheless.

No comments: